You’re at your favorite breakfast spot, ordering your usual breakfast plate and the server asks you that ubiquitous breakfast question, “Bacon or sausage?”. Was there ever a more difficult decision? I mean, bacon is delicious. We all know that. But breakfast sausage is pretty enticing as well. I say don’t choose, just have both!
I love that whole foods has been carrying their 365 breakfasty sausage in bulk. That way, you can mashup your own fixins into the meat before cooking!
If you’re feeling particularly inspired, don’t skip out on making the glaze. It will change your life… or maybe just your morning.
Bacon Breakfast Sausage
1 lb. pork breakfast sausage (bulk)
1/2 lb. applewood smoked, uncured bacon
- Chop bacon finely.
- In a bowl, mash together the sausage and bacon.
- Form into small patties.
- Heat a heavy bottomed skillet and fry patties until cooked through.
- Drain and serve with glaze.
Apple Balsamic Glaze
1 qt. organic apple juice
1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
1 lemon, juiced
- In a small-medium soup pot, heat apple juice to boil and lower to a simmer.
- Add lemon juice and let simmer until liquid reduces by half.
- Add balsamic and stir.
- Continue to simmer until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and drizzle over sausages, pork chops,