2012/06/20 by nikkiledford
I’ve done a post with collard wraps before, but I just wanted to remind you how awesome they are.
You can literally wrap ANYTHING; Tuna salad, chicken salad, lunch meat with some tomato and avocado… YUM! This egg salad uses pesto as a binder, but if you’re more of a mayonnaise person, use it! My recipe for Cilantro-Pistachio pesto would also be great for those who aren’t super big on basil.
Using collard wraps makes grain-free and low-carb lunches a bit more accessible for those times when you need something that’s relatively portable and not particularly messy. Every thing is held in by the leaf, like a tiny burrito! Kids love this kind of stuff because it’s fun to eat.
Pesto Egg Salad Wraps
3 hard boiled eggs
3 large collard leaves
1/4 cucumber, diced
1/3 c. pesto (recipe below)
- Trim the stems off the collard leaves.
- In a large skillet, heat a half inch of water over high heat.
- Add collard leaves and cover. Steam until wilted and “bendy”. Remove from water to dry.
- In a bowl, mash together pesto, eggs, and cucumber.
- Place the collard wrap on a clean surface and scoop 1/3 of the egg filling into the center of the leaf. Fold like burrito to make a wrap.
- Do the same with the last 2 leaves.
1 bunch organic basil (cheap at Trader Joe’s)
3/4- 1 c. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 c. walnuts
Juice of 1/2 lemon
sea salt to taste
- Put it all in a food processor and blend! Add salt and more lemon juice until reaching the desired taste.