2012/06/19 by nikkiledford
Breakfast… yum. Pasta… yum. BREAKFAST PASTA? Double yum!
I invented this while peeling a sweet potato for my sweet husband’s breakfast. Basically, I just kept peeling. Yup! I’m a genius (and a great wife). That pasta is made with a vegetable peeler. No need to go buy some fancy mandoline contraption or sexy vegetable spiral slicer. Just attack your tuber with a regular ol’ peeler and you’ve got noodles!
Working on a lunch/dinner version with a creamy sage and nutmeg sauce.
1/2 large yam, skin off
1-2 slices of bacon. (or 3… or 5)
- After peeling the skin off the yam, continue to peel the flesh until you have about 1/2 c. – 3/4 c. of “pasta”.
- Cook your bacon, either in a skillet or in the oven. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat some coconut oil and then add yam pasta. Add in any spices like salt, pepper, cayenne, basil, etc.
- Sauté until slightly wilted. Remove from pan and put on a plate.
- Use more coconut oil or rendered bacon fat and scramble 2 eggs. (Side note: if I were making this for me I would have fried the eggs over easy and then used the runny yolks as a sauce)
- Top the pasta with chopped bacon and the eggs.