Yesterday I got a chance to make my first homemade mayonnaise. I’ve always wanted to do this because conventional mayonnaise it LOADED with Omega 6 fats in the form of canola or soybean oil.
In this version I chose a healthier oil, olive, and an Omega 3 egg.
Olive Oil Mayonnaise
2 egg yolk
2 c. olive oil
sea salt to taste
1 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. spicy mustard
THE SLOW WAY:
- Whip egg in a bowl.
- THE SLOW WAY: Slowly, while whisking egg, add in olive oil in a steady stream. Mayo will thicken.
- Then add in additional ingredients to taste.
THE FAST WAY:
- Add all ingredients in a tall cylindrical container (like a big, wide-mouth mason jar or liquid measuring cup.
- Using an immersion (hand) blender. Place the blender attachment at the bottom of the container and hold down the blend button for 30 secs or so. Slowly raising it up as the mayo thickens at the bottom.
- You’ll want to raise it up really slowly only to incorporate the rest of the oil sitting at the top.
Need something to eat with your new batch of mayonnaise?