It’s Wednesday, which means it’s time for a hump day/afternoon sugar boost!
Seriously, munch on one of these and try not to jet out the door and run around the block 5 times.
It’s amazing how sensitive our bodies can become to sugar when we limit our consumption of the sweet stuff. Even during my pregnancy, I’ve been eating a considerable amount of carbohydrate in the form of fruit or gluten-free toast. But the heavenly, decadent combo of chocolate and dates was all I needed to fall into a serious sugar high. So obviously I ate a couple more… (whoopsie!)
These little bites are a great treat for kids, adults, holidays, parties, dessert, pretty much anything where sweets are desired and welcome. With minimal ingredients and easy prep, you can have an awesome, clean candy ready for the masses in no time.
Clean Almond Joy Bars
1 1/4 c. shredded coconut
1 1/4 c. packed medjool dates, pitted
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt
1/2 c. toasted almonds, roughly chopped
1 bag enjoy life chocolate chips
- In a food processor, mix coconut, dates, vanilla, and salt until well combined and sticky.
- Press evenly into a glass dish (small dish = thicker bars).
- Melt chocolate chips over a double boiler (I put a metal bowl on top of a small pot with boiling water) and add chopped almonds.
- Spread chocolate mixture over coconut base and chill to set.
- Chop into small (think FUN size candy) bar sizes and eat!
You might also like: