Deli counter salads are always so yummy, but they are often pretty expensive (Yes, I’m talking to you Whole Foods) so it’s a great idea to whip some up at home. It’s also a wonderful side dish to bring to summer potlucks, BBQ’s, or parties!
Curried Broccoli Salad
6 c. broccoli florets, broken up into smaller pieces (I used 2 bags of organic broccoli florets from Trader Joe’s)
1 lb. bacon, chopped and cooked (save rendered fat and drippings)
1 c. cashews (recipe below for toasted curry cashews)
2 heirloom carrots, quartered and sliced thin (I used purple ones but you could just use regular
2 green onions, diced
handful of chopped cilantro
juice of 2 lemons
2 egg yolks
1 Tbsp. curry powder
2 tsp. honey
salt to taste
- Using a steamer basket, steam broccoli until vibrant green. Set aside in fridge to cool.
- In a bowl, add curried cashews, green onion, sliced carrots, cilantro and bacon.
- Make dressing by adding bacon drippings, egg yolks, curry, lemon juice, and honey to a blender. Blend until smooth. Add salt to taste.
- Once broccoli has cooled a bit, add to salad bowl and toss with dressing.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Toasted Curried Cashews
1 c. cashew pieces
1 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. salt
coconut oil spray
- In a bowl, add cashews.
- Spray cashews with a little of the coconut spray, toss until cashews are lightly coated
- Add in curry powder and toss until coated.
- Heat a skillet and add cashews to toast. Shake or stir often to avoid burning.
- Remove from heat and add salt to taste. Let cool on a plate or paper towel.