I love rotisserie chicken. It is supremely flavorful with crispy and delicious skin, the meat falls off the bone, you can eat it with your fingers and pretend you’re a pirate without utensils or manners. What a wonderful and convenient food!
This chicken came pretty close to all those criteria.
1. Flavorful. The Ranch spice blend is heavenly.
2. I could barely handle it without all the meat shredding and falling away from the bone.
3. The convenience of putting a whole chicken in the crock pot at 9 pm and waking up to a fully cooked meal at 6 am.
4. While the skin isn’t “rotisserie crispy” straight outta the crock pot, it is super simple to stick a chicken leg or breast under the broiler for a couple of minutes to get that crazy delicious crunch.
Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken
1 whole chicken, about 3-4 lbs. (giblets removed if present)
1 lemon, quartered
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1/2 yellow onion, 3 celery stalks, 3 carrots, chopped roughly
Ranch Spice Mix
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dried chives
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. dried dill
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
- In a bowl, mix together spices and herbs, set aside
- Place carrots, celery, and onion in the bottom of the slow cooker
- Pat dry the chicken, stuff with lemon and garlic.
- Rub the spice mixture all over the chicken.
- Place chicken in the slow cooker, resting on top of the vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours. (high for 4-6 hours)
To crisp the skin, remove chicken from slow cooker and place on a baking sheet or in a Pyrex (glass) dish and heat under the broiler for 4-5 mins until you hear popping or snapping… that’s the sound of delicious.