Some people are super into pie. Especially pumpkin pie.
I don’t blame them, pumpkin pie is delicious. But honestly, I’ve never really been a pie person. It has to have A LOT going on in order for me to really enjoy it over some other dessert option like cake or brownies. I’m talking something like this…
While I’m definitely not embarking on a quest to make gorgeous pies, I did decide to take it up a notch and make pumpkin pie the way I want to eat it. Specifically, with a brownie underneath.
For me, recipe development is really just a way for me to have my cake and eat it too. (I mean pie, obviously).
Black Bottom Pumpkin Pie Bars
1 c. almond butter
1/3 c. maple syrup
3 dates, soft (warm them in hot water if too hard)
1/4 c. cacao powder
pinch sea salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350
- Using an immersion blender or a fork, mash the dates into the almond butter and mix until smooth.
- Add egg and maple syrup.
- Add cacao, sea salt, and baking soda, mix well.
- Fold in mini chocolate chips.
- In a 9×13 baking dish, spray avocado or coconut oil to grease and spread a thin, even layer of brownie batter over the bottom.
- Bake for 10-15 mins. It will be under cooked when you take it out but the edges will start to look done. Set aside while preparing the pumpkin pie filling.
Pumpkin Pie Layer
1 can pumpkin puree
1 c. coconut milk
1/4 c. maple syrup
1 1/2 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch sea salt
Collagen Peptides (2-3 scoops, optional)
- Whisk all ingredients in a large bowl until smooth.
- Pour over brownie layer.
- Bake for 40 mins, until center is set and no longer jiggles.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool before cutting and serving.