I consider it a personal win when I stumble upon recipe that is mega tasty and mega nutritious. These vegan bars are not only a huge hit with my kiddo, my husband also visits the fridge looking for more! If you look at the ingredients you’ll notice there is no added sugar. All the sweetness comes from fruit (WINNING!). Additionally, there are no eggs for anyone suffering from an allergy or those who choose a plant-based diet (which some may argue is its own kind of suffering). I kid, I kid. These are yummy and I’m including them in my weekly rotation for the foreseeable future.
I haven’t tried it, but you could definitely sub some pumpkin puree for the applesauce which would cut down on the sweetness even more. That would also make it a great sugar-free breakfast or dessert option for the upcoming fall holidays.
Vegan Apple Spice Bars
1/2 c. oats
1/2 c. dates
1/3 c. applesauce
1/2 c. almond butter
1/3 c. almond milk
1/4 c. golden raisins
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a food processor, grind oats until they resemble sand
- Add dates and continue to process until there are no big pieces.
- Add baking soda, spices, and salt. Pulse to combine.
- Add milk, applesauce, almond milk, and almond butter and blend well.
- Pulse in golden raisins.
- Pour evenly into a greased glass baking dish and bake for 40 – 45 mins or until center is set. The bars will continue to cook a bit once removed from the oven so don’t over bake.