Confessions of a paleo cook:
I haven’t jumped on the Instant Pot bandwagon. (gasp)
I’m not opposed to the contraption, just seriously lack the “latest kitchen gadget” gene. I don’t like having more stuff, even if it’s cooking related. I require a sharp knife, high-speed blender, and cast iron pan. The instant pot, while insanely helpful to most, is not on my most wanted list simply because I like to keep it simple and I also have extremely limited space in my kitchen (just ask my juicer and ice cream maker out in the garage…).
One thing I have been particularly loving lately (and when I say lately, I mean since motherhood) is my slow cooker. The CROCK POT as it were. Like many of you, I received this gizmo as a wedding gift and would use it on and off throughout my wedded years, but nothing puts slow cooking at the top of your To-Do list like parenting. Set it and forget it. So friggin easy.
If you are super stoked on the Instant Pot, that’s awesome. For those who are still rocking the old school slow cooker, this one’s for you.
Cinnamon Citrus Pork
3 lbs. Pork Shoulder, Hind Shank, or Boston Butt
1/4 c. coconut sugar
1 orange, zested and sliced
1 Tbsp. finely ground coffee (decaf if sensitive)
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. sea salt
pinch of red pepper flakes if desired
- Get yer slow cooker out and plug it in. (This step is important. Slightly embarrassed to say I’ve forgotten to plug-in more than once).
- In a small bowl combine zest, sugar, cinnamon, coffee, salt, and pepper. Easiest to mix with your fingers because the zest will cause the rub to not mix evenly due to moisture.
- Smear rub all over the pork cut.
- Place the pork in the slow cooker and arrange orange slices around the crock.
- Set it to low (for 8-10 hours) or high (for 4-6 hours).
- Once it’s done, it should shred easily.