I seem to be leaning on the blog’s archived sauces lately. While that may be a bit uncreative of me, there’s nothing wrong with using what works! And the basil cream atop this meatloaf just plain WORKS.
Basil and tomato are classically summer flavors, but you can side step that little detail by grabbing some frozen basil cubes for the sauce. The basil is picked and frozen in the peak of season! Also, but baking the tomatoes you can bring out the great flavor that can be missing when using them out of season. I redeemed the lack of seasonality in this dish by including parsnips!
Basil Parsnip Meatloaf
2 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground pork
2 parsnips, shredded
1 zucchini squash, shredded
1 onion, chopped small
1 c. almond flour
3 garlic cloves
1 Tbsp. basil
generous salt and pepper
2 tomatoes, sliced thinly
1 c. Dairy-Free Basil Cream
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well with hands.
- In a large greased loaf pan or 9 inch glass baking dish, fill with meat mixture and spread evenly.
- Arrange tomato slices on top.
- Bake for 45 mins or until internal temp reaches 140-150.
- Let it rest for a bit, it will continue to cook inside.
- To serve, drizzle generously with basil cream.