2016/10/20 by nikkiledford
Have you watched the television show, This is Us? I’m a Mandy Moore fan girl so I had to check it out based purely on that fact. Side note: Because I Said So… genius chick flick. Her new show actually pretty good so I think I’ll be adding it to my very small rotation of Hulu shows which includes Modern Family, New Girl, and a reluctant allegiance to Grey’s Anatomy. I mean, who kills off McSteamy?! Bad call Shonda.
The next time you find yourself binge watching your way through a cloudy fall day, try out this dish. Comfort food doesn’t have to be heavy and unhealthy. This warm and savory stew will seriously enhance any couch potato experience and supply an immunity boost against seasonal germ nonsense.
Vegetable Curry Stew
1 lb. chicken thighs
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
2 c. chicken or vegetable broth
1 can coconut milk
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
1 zucchini, sliced into half moons
1 large carrot, sliced into coins
2 large potatoes, chopped large
1 handful of crimini or shiitake mushrooms, quartered
3 c. spinach
2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
cilantro for garnish
1/2 Tbsp. yellow curry powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. ginger powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper
salt to taste
- In a large pot or dutch oven, add the coconut oil and heat over medium. Season with salt and sear both sides of the chicken thighs.
- Add broth and spices and a little more salt and simmer for 10 mins.
- Add vegetables and coconut milk and continue to simmer until potatoes are cooked though and the chicken easily falls apart add more salt to taste.
- Stir in spinach until wilted.
- Serve with cilantro garnish.
Plant-Based Tip: Make this vegan/vegetarian by leaving out the chicken and adding more veg!