Give me all the carbs.
Seriously though, carbs are my friend right now. Between breastfeeding and the added stress of motherhood, carbohydrates are an essential part of my meals and snacks.
I would urge anyone who is experiencing a lot of life stress, engaging in vigorous exercise, or breastfeeding to incorporate adequate amounts of carbs into their diet. Not only are the nutrients helpful for performing and recovering from exercise but they can also help mitigate stress by increasing serotonin production. Simply put, that means that carbs make your brain feel good things. Restricting carbs can cause a stress-response in the body which is not cool if you’re already stressed from deadlines, finances, traffic, or election news. Political Stress. I’m sure that’s a thing.
So let’s recap; These starchy and delicious potato pancakes will help you build muscle after your sprinting session, keep cool after rush hour, and endure the election coverage. Maybe they should run for president…
Prosciutto Potato Pancakes
4 medium gold potatoes (organic), shredded
2 green onions, chopped
5-6 slices of prosciutto, chopped
2 Tbsp. potato starch
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
tallow, lard, or coconut oil for frying
- Squeeze the excess moisture out of the potatoes before mixing with other ingredients.
- In a bowl combine all ingredients.
- Heat oil over medium until hot.
- Form pancakes by flattening a palm-size amount of the mixture in between your hands, squeezing any moisture out. Lay flat in the hot oil.
- Flip when browned on first side.
- When second side is done, let pancakes drain on a paper towel before serving.