If flavors could get married, I would stand up as a witness to the Chocolate and Orange nuptials. They’re such a classy pair, don’t you think!? One of my favorite resources for flavor pairing is The Flavor Thesaurus. It would make an amazing addition to any kitchen or a gift for the serious cooks in your life!
As I get further along into my pregnancy I’ve been paying more and more attention to the quality of foods that I’m eating. I’m trying to approach labor and delivery like a big athletic event which means paying close attention to training and nutrition. I’ve been curbing my recent habit of gluten-free toast and opting for more nutrient-dense foods for breakfast. If I really want a carbO-licious carrier for some Kerrygold butter then I’ll make some of my simple pancakes OR something like these delicious scones.
Chocolate Orange Scones
1 1/4 c. almond meal
2 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. almond meal
2/3 c. tapioca starch
1 orange, zested
1/4 c. cacao nibs or enjoy life mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a bowl, combine 1 1/4 c. almond meal, eggs, honey, and vanilla until well mixed.
- Add baking soda and apple cider vinegar on top of the batter so it fizzes and then fold into the batter.
- Add remaining cup of almond meal and starch and stir until combined.
- Fold in zest and chocolate pieces.
- Using a large scoop or 1/4 c. form scones onto parchment and bake for 16-20 mins or until tops begin to crack.