As far as I can tell, most macaroon recipes call for honey as the sweetener. Confession time: Sometimes I just don’t like honey. It has a very distinct flavor which is great is some things, but in others the flavor takes over.
In an attempt to quell my macaroon craving and also avoid the honey flavor I decided to play around with dates as the sweetener. Don’t worry honey-lovers, just look back in the archives of the blog, you will find a macaroon recipe that uses everyone’s favorite bee juice!
My favorite kind of macaroon is crispy on the outside and with a soft melty interior #nerdalert – Can you be nerdy about macaroons? I sure am.
Anyways, I also included some tasty cacao nibs to this batch for some antioxidants and a boost of magnesium, but you could leave them out if you’re a purist.
These are great with your morning tea or coffee, pre or post-workout, or really anytime you want a bite of chewy deliciousness.
2 c. shredded coconut (unsweetened)
9-11 soft medjool dates (depending on the size, use less if they’re gigantor)
2 eggs whites
1 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt
optional: 1/4 c. Cacao Nibsor Enjoy Life Semi Sweet Chocolate Mini Chips if you’re feeling extra sweet!
- Preheat oven to 300.
- In a food processor add dates, vanilla, salt and egg whites. Blend until mostly smooth.
- Add coconut shreds and pulse quickly to mix. Don’t leave the processor on or the coconut shreds will get too pulverized.
- Add cacao nibs and pulse a couple more times.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop batter in mounds on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 mins until bottom edges are browning and tops look golden.
2 Comments Add yours