2016/02/05 by nikkiledford
Your weekly dose of yummy, healthy treats is here!
When I tasted this cake, the first words out of my mouth were “Oh My God.” It’s delicious and decadent and also incredible user-friendly. I have this thing for simple baking recipes. I don’t like having to be super exact or go out and buy a ton of flours and starches and other stuff that gluten-free baking typically requires.
Just a quick trip to Trader Joe’s and you have everything you need for a delicious brunch cake, morning snack, dinner party dessert, or potluck contribution. People will go wild for this moist, flavorful cake.
Also, check out my optional flavor combinations below the recipe. This cake is SO SIMPLE that it’s practically begging for your own personal customization. Make YOUR favorite cake.
Maple Orange Almond Cake
2 c. almond meal
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/3 c. olive oil
1/2 c. maple syrup
zest of 1 orange
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 orange, juiced
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
pinch of sea salt
powdered sugar to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In a smaller bowl, beat together wet ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to the bowl of dry and mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into greased muffin tin or cake pan and bake for 25 – 30 mins (muffins), 35-40 mins (cake pan).
- Remove from oven when toothpick comes out clean.
- In a small bowl, mix orange juice, salt, and maple syrup. Pour juice mixture over the warm cake to soak.
- Before serving, garnish with a dusting of powdered sugar or orange zest curls.
- add aromatics like thyme, sage, or rosemary.
- swap out ginger for other spices like cardamom, garam masala, cinnamon, cloves, or turmeric.
- Add some chocolate chips, chocolate drizzle, or chocolate shavings for garnish (chocolate and orange are Heaven.
- Mix in some nuts like pistachios, walnuts, or pecans.
- Use lemon or pineapple instead of orange.
Good combo ideas:
Orange + Chocolate + Walnuts
Orange + Pistachio + Cardamom
Lemon + Thyme + Walnuts
Orange + Cloves + Pecans
Lemon + Rosemary + Almond garnish