2015/03/05 by nikkiledford
Who loves popcorn chicken?! I figure a lot of people do since I see it advertised so often.
While this may not yield the exact same result as a KFC, Red Lobster, or Long John Silver’s popcorn chicken, I can assure you that the taste and nourishment from this Paleo/Gluten/Grain-Free interpretation will be much more mentally and biologically satisfying. It’s also completely WHOLE 30 APPROVED! 😉
If that doesn’t convince you, let me elaborate; This is a seriously easy and family friendly meal (the sauce is ON POINT). Serve this up with a side of roasted yams and pineapple and you will have some happy eaters!
Note: leave the curry out or swap for some chili powder if you have curry-averse company.
Coconut Curry Chicken Poppers
1 lb. chicken breast or thighs
1 c. shredded coconut (i get the really fine shred from Let’s Do Organic brand)
1 Tbsp. curry powder
1 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cut chicken into 2-bite pieces.
- In a bowl, whisk egg.
- In another bowl, mix coconut, curry, and salt
- Add chicken pieces to the egg to coat.
- One by one, place each chicken piece into the coconut bowl and toss with coconut until coated.
- Place chicken pieces on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 mins until coconut is golden and chicken is cooked through. (Pro Tip aka. my perfectly cooked chicken trick: I use the poke test… I poke the chicken with my finger feeling for the meat to spring back against my finger rather than smush down under the weight of it (underdone)… it takes a couple tries to get the feeling but it’s a pretty reliable skill for figuring out when chicken is juicy and ready. If the chicken is firm when you poke it… it’s OVERDONE!)
Sweet and Sour Sauce (refined sugar and soy-free!)
1 c. tomato sauce
1 c. pineapple juice
1 c. coconut aminos
- Add all ingredients to a sauce pan. Stir to combine.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture reduces and thickens considerably. About 30-45 mins.