2014/10/03 by nikkiledford
If you are reading from a place that isn’t 99 degrees, then I suggest you make this dessert. For those of you residing in Southern California; Bake at your own risk.
I had an itch to create a sweet treat with butternut squash and lots of fresh ginger. The result was an (almost) pumpkin pie. Seriously. This tastes VERY close to a pumpkin pie. But there’s no dairy. Barely any sugar. And a GRAIN-FREE CRUST! Yay!!
Ginger Butternut Squash Tart
1 c. cashew meal
3/4 c. shredded coconut
1/2 c. walnuts
2 Tbsp. coconut oil
pinch of salt
1 butternut squash (about 3 lbs.), halved and baked until soft.
1/3 c. coconut sugar
2 inch fresh ginger, grated
2 Tbsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 c. coconut milk
1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a food processor combine cashew meal, coconut, and walnuts until finely ground.
- Add egg, salt, and melted coconut oil until dough forms a ball.
- Press into a tart pan and bake for 10 mins. Remove and cool.
- For the filling, first remove the skin from the cooked butternut squash.
- Add squash and all other filling ingredients to a food processor and mix until smooth.
- Pour into cooled crust and bake for 50 mins or so. Until filling is set.
- Cool for 3 hours and serve!