This soup is delicious chilled, which makes this the perfect comfort food for summer.
It’s super easy to make, and even easier with an immersion (hand) blender. If you don’t have one, you blend it in a regular blender or vitamix. Just make sure you cool the mixture a bit before blending in a regular blender because the steam might make a messy explosion. yikes!
Avocado Yam Soup with Bacon Garnish
1 large or 2 medium Japanese Yam (about 1 lb – 1 1/2 lb.)
2 c. broth
1/4 red onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. coconut oil or bacon grease
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. coriander
salt and pepper
4 slices cooked bacon, diced
1/4 c. cilantro, diced
- Preheat oven to 400
- Slice yam in half and lay face down on a baking sheet. Bake until soft.
- In a soup pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions.
- Saute onions until translucent and add garlic. Stir until fragrant.
- Add broth and yam (remove skins).
- Add avocado and using a blender (regular or hand blender) puree the mixture until smooth.
- Add spices and seasoning to taste.
- Top with a sprinkle of bacon and cilantro.