I just stumbled upon this little healthy snack hack. Who remembers fried zucchini?! I remember getting it at places like CoCo’s or Marie Calendar’s. Um, gross. As an adult and health advocate, I seriously question the freshness of the zucchini, the ingredients in the bread batter, or the age of the rancid vegetable frying oil. NO THANKS.
In the past, I’ve breaded my fish and my chicken using potato starch. So it stands to reason that the same method would work with zucchini! Turns out I was right. Yipee! Fried Zucchini at home! They’re delicious dipped in homemade mayonnaise.
BEWARE: They are just as BOILING LAVA HOT at home as they are in the restaurants. Wait a few blessed moments before biting into these or everything with taste like rubber for a month. (name that comedy reference!)
2-3 zucchini (italian squash) cut into 2 inch spears
1 c. potato starch
1 egg, whisked
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 c. red palm oil or coconut oil
- In a medium sauce pan heat palm oil on high.
- In a bowl, mix potato starch with seasonings
- In another bowl, toss zucchini with egg.
- Toss eggy-spears in starch mixture and carefully drop into hot oil. (It sizzles when its ready.)
- Turn when batter begins to turn golden.
- Remove when all sides are golden brown and drain on a paper towel.
- Dip and Eat!