Okay you guys, this pudding is for reals. I found the recipe over at Gluten Free Empowerment. They used agave, so naturally I switched it over to honey. You could also use maple syrup or coconut nectar.
I also decided to make it into a Frozen Pudding Pie, but you could just make it like regular pudding and eat it out of a jar (like my husband does).
If frozen, it comes out a little like an ice-cream tart. You could top with berries or a berry compote, chocolate shavings, chocolate drizzle, or a thick layer of ganache!
Vanilla Pudding Pie
1 can coconut milk
1/3 c. honey
3 Tbsp. arrowroot powder
3 Tbsp. warm water
1/2 vanilla bean, scraped
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. sea salt
Crust (same as Raw Chocolate Pudding Pie)
1 3/4 c. raw cashews
2/3 c. unsweetened coconut flakes
- In a food processor, combine crust ingredients until a bit moist or sticky. Kind of like making nut butter but don’t go that far. You still want it to have a bit of “crumb” to it.
- Press the cashew mixture evenly into a pie plate or tart pan (easier to serve).
- In a saucepan, combine eggs, coconut milk, and liquid sweetener over medium heat, whisk frequently.
- While milk is beginning to warm, mix arrowroot with water. Mix well… no clumps.
- Once milk is warm add the arrowroot mixture and whisk constantly until pudding begins to thicken.
- Once thick, remove from heat and add in the salt and vanilla. Let cool.
- Pour into tart pan and freeze until serving.