I like these little fritters for a few reasons.
1. They are low in sugar which means that all you Sugar-Detoxers can have them.
2. They are an alternative to the Broccoli Pancakes which may not be suitable for people who have a FODMAP problem or who just generally don’t digest broccoli well.
3. While I hesitate to called them “pumpkin-spiced”, they do have a wonderful, fall-flavor. Bring it on, Autumn!
Now let’s talk options.
More Sweet. Use grated yam or drizzle a bit of maple syrup in the batter or on the fritters afterwards.
More Savory. Replace the spices with onion powder, chopped cilantro, cayenne, and some garlic.
Less Nutty: You could probably use a few tablespoons of coconut flour or just omit it all together. They will more likely to fall apart so flip carefully. Refer to my other shredded pancakes recipe.
Cinnamon Carrot Fritters
2 1/2 c. grated carrot (I used about 5-6 medium-sized carrots)
3/4 c. almond flour
1 Tbsp. cinnamon*
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground ginger*
1/2 tsp. ground cloves*
1/4 c. oil/fat of choice
mashed dates, nut butter (make sure you balance your omegas later…), grass-fed butter, avocado, fried eggs…
*you could also use pumpkin pie spice in lieu of the cinn/ginger/cloves combo.
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients until well mixed.
- In a large skillet, heat some coconut oil (Or tallow, ghee, grass-fed butter, red palm oil, etc.) on medium-high heat.
- To test the oil, take a pinch of carrot and drop it in the skillet. If it sizzles, it’s ready.
- Form palm-sized pancakes with the carrot batter and lay in the hot oil. Cook until golden and then flip.
- Serve with topping, use as a “bun” for your fried egg, or just eat plain on the go!