I’ve been obsessed with vegetable noodles lately. They’re fast and easy and light! They also take any sort of sauce and make it wayyyy more exciting. Lamb Ragu and veggie noodles, curry meatballs and veggie noodles, basil cream and… you guessed it, VEGGIE NOODLES! Fortunately, us Grain-Free types have a multitude of alternatives when it comes to pasta.
The easiest way is to take a regular ol’ veggie peeler and run it over the vegetable of choice making long “fettuccine”-style noodles. This works well with sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc. For zucchini, it’s fun to use a julienne slicer or a fancy noodle contraption like this. I have this one. I think I found it in a salvation army thrift store for 5 bucks. Lucky me.
Come to think of it, I don’t think Macklemore included “spiral slicer” in his song. Well, that’s a missed opportunity for sure.
Lemon-Walnut Pesto with Zucchini Noodles
1/2 c. walnuts
4 c. basil (enough to fill a food processor)
1 lemon, zested and juiced
3/4 c. olive oil
3 cloves garlic
pinch of black pepper
2 large zucchini, julienne-sliced or spun through a vegetable noodler (technical term)
Raw Parmesan Cheese
Diced Heirloom Tomatoes
- In a food processor, combine basil, garlic, walnuts and lemon.
- As the processor runs, drizzle in the olive oil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heating a little oil in a skillet or enameled pot add zucchini noodles briefly to warm and soften and add lemon pesto to toss.
- Serve with tomatoes, cheese, chicken…. or naked.