2013/07/23 by nikkiledford
My husband recently brought to my attention that I’ve been blogging about paleo treats too much. Too many paleo treats? I think not. But it was a bug in my ear so here’s a non-sweet paleo treat for you all. Why is it a treat?
1. Because fish is delicious.
2. Because you will want to eat this for every dinner.
3. Because IT’S SOOOO GOOD!
Orange and Herb Battered Fish
1 pkg. frozen mahi mahi pieces or whole steaks (trader joes)
1 c. potato starch
zest of 1 orange
any herbs or spices you desire… I’ve used dill, oregano, thyme, parsley, etc. or you could use chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder
salt and pepper
1/2 c. coconut oil
- Defrost the fish in your fridge overnight or in a bowl of cool water.
- Remove fish from the bag and pat dry with paper towels
- in a small bowl whisk egg, set aside
- In a larger bowl, mix potato starch, orange zest, and various spices until well combined
- Place fish in egg to coat. Remove the fish from the bowl, draining the excess egg off and place the pieces in the potato starch mix.
- Toss to coat
- In a skillet or soup pot heat coconut oil on medium-high heat until very hot, but not smoking.
- Add the pieces of fish, one at a time (the oil should sizzle when the fish goes in, if it doesn’t, your oil isn’t hot enough).
- Turn the pieces of fish to fry the other half. Keep frying both sides until they begin to turn yellow-gold.
- Serve with roasted or grilled veggies, a slice of orange, and a dipping sauce of coconut aminos, sesame oil, and rice vinegar.