I thought I’d throw one up for the paleo AND vegan/vegetarian crowd today. This soup is absolutely fantastic. It’s also pretty versatile in the sense that you can prepare it in a blender or on the stove top as well as serve it warm or cold. Great for winter and PERFECT for summer!
This is an extremely filling soup. Lo-carb, high-fat, with an option to add protein! If you want to thin it out, you could always add some bone broth or vegetable broth in lieu or addition to the coconut milk.
Creamy Poblano and Avocado Soup
2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped into large pieces (commonly called Pasilla peppers in grocery stores)
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped into large pieces
1/2 onion, chopped large
1/2 – 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced, depending on your spice preference
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. paprika
3 c. canned coconut milk
1/2 lime, juiced
sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lay peppers and onion onto a baking sheet, bake until soft and edges begin to brown, about 20 mins.
- Add roasted peppers and onions to a blender or to a soup pot.
- Add in the remaining ingredients except for the avocado. If using blender, blend until smooth. If using soup pot, simmer mixture until warmed through.
- In blender add avocado and mix until completely puréed. If using soup pot, use and immersion blender to blend soup until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with minced red bell pepper, cilantro and lime wedge, or sliced scallions. Also good with shredded chicken.
One Comment Add yours
After a hefty meal of grilled grass-fed tri-tip, tomato & zucchini veggies, and a leafy green salad with vinaigrette, the soup sounds wonderfully light. I’ll plan ahead for Wednesday
& surprise my life-companion / best friend with some CleanPlateChef style guy-cookin!