2013/05/07 by nikkiledford
I’ve been super LAME about posting lately. It’s not because I don’t want to… it’s because the month of April (into May) has been craze balls. Lots of things smashed into a few weeks of time. Between work, my husband’s graduation, wedding stuff for my in-laws, and moving to San Clemente it’s been pretty hard to get in the kitchen for blogging purposes. Did I mention we’re MOVING?!
Excuses, excuses. Where are the recipes?! People are going hungry out there!
Speaking of hungry, Sunday was Cinco De Mayo. Which basically means eat and drink your weight in chips, salsa, guacamole, and tequila. Since chips are a no-go and tequila sounded a bit overkill in light of the aforementioned celebrations, I made something just as festive…MOLE!
This mole is not your typical heavy chocolate fare. It has lettuce in it. Yes, LETTUCE. Don’t let that fool you though. This mole has some serious flavor while also being light and refreshing.
Chicken with Green Mole
1 whole chicken, cut into 6 pieces
2 Tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 red onion, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
5 tomatillos, roughly chopped
2 large romaine leaves
1 bunch of radishes, tops only
1 bunch cilantro
1/2 c pumpkin seeds, toasted
1 Tbsp. cumin
2 tsp. mexican oregano
2 c. chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
- In a cast iron dutch oven, heat coconut oil.
- Add chicken to sear on both sides.
- Remove chicken and set aside. Add onions and garlic and saute until fragrant.
- In a food processor, add onions, garlic, cumin, oregano, and pumpkin seeds. Purée.
- Add tomatillos, radish tops, romaine, and cilantro
- Add puréed mixture to cast iron and heat until boiling, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add chicken and simmer for 40 mins until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve chicken with a large spoonful of mole sauce.