2013/02/25 by nikkiledford
Here’s what a weekend breakfast should look like:
Yam Latkes with Poached Eggs
3 c. shredded yams
1 c. shredded zucchini
1/2 c. minced red onion
2 Tbsp. coconut flour
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. garlic pow
salt and pepper
1/2 c. lard, tallow, or other high heat frying oil
a splash of vinegar
parsley to garnish
- Using a dish towel, paper towel, or fine mesh bag; add grated yam and zucchini in handfuls and squeeze out as much moisture as you can.
- Place grated yam and zucchini in a bowl and mix with egg, spices, and flour.
- In a heavy bottomed pan or cast iron skillet, heat oil until hot (test with a piece of yam, watch for it to sizzle)
- Using your hand, take a small handful of latke mix and squeeze between your palms to remove all moisture and flatten into a pancake.
- Drop pancake into oil. I did 2 at a time.
- Wait for the first side to brown before flipping.
- Brown the other side and remove onto a paper-lined plate to drain.
- To poach eggs, get a sauce pan or pot and boil some water. Add the vinegar.
- Crack the eggs and release them into the boiling water (try to drop them gently, close to the water.)
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the eggs when the whites are cooked through but the yolks are still runny.
- Serve eggs over latkes and garnish with some chopped herbs and freshly ground pepper.