At first glance, these look like regular coconut macaroons. They are filled with the simple ingredients of coconut, honey, and egg whites. Pretty typical for your everyday macaroon. But don’t be fooled. These lil’ guys are SUPER! Full of great superfoods to boost your health and satisfy your sweet tooth – AT THE SAME TIME! Booyah.
I added some maca powder and cacao nibs to this recipe for some healthy fun.
Cacao nibs are the raw form of chocolate, before it gets processed into the bars that you and I enjoy so much. So all the benefits you hear about dark chocolate are actually present in the raw cacao pieces! Magnesium, polyphenols, anti-oxidants. All good things.
2 1/2 c. small shred unsweetened coconut
1/4 c. honey
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 Tbsp. maca powder
1/4 c. cacao nibs
- In a small bowl, whisk egg whites, honey, vanilla.
- Add salt and maca, mix thoroughly.
- Fold in coconut and nibs.
- Refrigerate for 20 mins.
- Using a tablespoon or small cookie scoop, make tightly packed balls and lay on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 10 mins, or until the tops begin the turn golden.