Persimmon and Pecan Breakfast Cereal

2012/11/15 by nikkiledford

I used to be CRAZY about cereal. A staple of my childhood (and early adulthood) cereal was a delicious and fun beginning to almost every day. Frosted Mini Wheats, Crispix, Lucky Charms, Oh’s, Honey Bunches of Oats, Puffins, Chex…. I could go on forever. When I went gluten-free, it was pretty easy to switch over to gluten-free cereals and when I went completely dairy-free, it was easy to switch to soy milk and almond milk. But paleo… there was mourning. Maybe some tears. Maybe some denial and intermittent cereal binges.

Enter Paleo Cereal.

No, it’s not the same as regular ol’ box cereal. It’s much more heavy (you cannot and should not eat more than one bowl) than a box cereal and it has a lot more flavor and nutrition. It’s also not something I make a habit of eating for breakfast. Since my primary goals with my diet are…

1. To support healthy digestion
  2. To lean out (aka lose weight)

…the cereal is for occasions only. Fruit and Nuts do not really help my digestion nor do they help me lose weight. This is mostly because they aren’t as filling for me as an omelette with veggies and avocado, and they tend to be addictive and easy to overeat.

With that being said, if you are the type of person without those particular concerns, then this would be a fine breakfast alternative for you. Especially for those who are allergic or reactive to eggs.

Persimmons are a major fall favorite for me which is why they are in this cereal. You could certainly put in once of your favorite fruits (banana, apple, pear, mango, papaya, etc.) and swap out other nuts for the pecans and macadamia.

Persimmon and Pecan Breakfast Cereal

1 fuyu persimmon, chopped
1/3 c. pecans, toasted
1/2 c. coconut flakes, toasted
2 dates, chopped
1 tbsp. crushed macadamia nuts
1 c. almond milk
sprinkle of maca powder
sprinkle of sea salt
sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice

1. To toast the pecans and coconut; Heat some coconut oil in a skillet and add pecans. move constantly to make sure they don’t burn. Half way through, add coconut flakes until they begin to brown on the edges. When done, promptly remove from heat as they could burn in the hot pan.
  2. Mix all ingredients in a bowl and pour your milk over the top!

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “Persimmon and Pecan Breakfast Cereal

1. Healthy A-Z says:

I love persimmons, and I would never have thought of something like this. Definitely looks like a great treat!

2. paleoinpdx says:

Yum, I still have never tried a persimmon. I almost bought one in the store the other day, but then I put it back. I wasn’t sure what to do with it, but this looks like a good place to start!

• nikkiorth says:

They are wonderful on their own. It’s like eating an apple. Just make sure it’s the Fuyu kind (short and squat) and not the Haiyacha (rounder and pointy end)

• paleoinpdx says:

Good to know! What’s the deal with the other variety?

• nikkiorth says:

you can eat them, but they have to become super gooey and ripe. They are better eaten like a pudding, or used in baking. If you eat them before they are fully ripe, they will suck the moisture out of your mouth. Very astringent.

• paleoinpdx says:

Well, that sounds less than pleasant! Thanks for filling me in … the persimmon is new to me.

3. withlovedeidrelee says:

This. Looks. Amazing! Thanks for sharing!!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

InstaPlate

PRODUCT ALERT//
Stopped by @lazyacresmarket_encinitas and grabbed this tonic to keep my immune system solid while my little guy fights a cold. I'm not gonna lie, it doesn't taste that good, but has some crazy good ingredients and so far I'm keeping all the germs from taking me down 👊🏻 Not upset about my breakfast situation.
GF sourdough open faced breakfast sandwich and bone broth with all the immune boosting goodies. #goodonya #northcountysd #needonedowntown PREPARATION// One thing I never regret;
Taking time to meal prep for myself. It's so much easier to make healthy food choices and lose the stress over time spent in the kitchen when you're prepared! #mealpreppin #gingerorangepork #slowcookerftw If you didn't catch my live video yesterday about my grocery shopping (riveting... I know.), I gave the low down on why and how I make my own nut butter.
1. It's generally cheaper.
2. It tastes way better.
3. Easy to do in a vitamix or food processor. Just have patience because you're not making a smoothie, you're grinding nuts until they release their oils and smooth out.
Need another reason to make your own?
4. Customization
This batch had a touch of vanilla and cinnamon and I can easily control the amount of saltiness.
You guyyyyysssss. It's so good and easy. Be like Nike and #justdoit