Here’s a wonderful, quick, and CHEAP recipe for you all. The chinese five-spice adds a unique flavor to this soup. If you have some extra time and really want to increase the depth of flavor, toss the carrots in some oil and roast them first.
Five-Spice Carrot Soup
2 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
1 tsp. chinese five-spice powder
1 1/2 lb. peeled and chopped carrots
2 c. chicken or vegetable broth
1 tsp. lemon juice
diced avocado to garnish
salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot, heat oil and add onion and garlic. stir until fragrant
- Add ginger and five spice.
- Add carrots and broth, bring to a boil
- Cover and reduce to a simmer for about 30 mins until the carrots are tender.
- Blend with an immersion blender or in an upright blender (carefully ladle soup into the upright blender and only fill about halfway.
- Add lemon juice and any additional seasoning and finish pureeing the soup.
- Serve warm or chilled with avocado.