Last night, I went to sleep to the sound of raindrops and when I awoke it was still drizzling a bit, but there were huge poofy clouds and the sun was rising over the mountains. I decided (even though the clouds to the west looked ominous) that I needed to go for a run and take advantage of the glorious morning. Well, I ended up running in a downpour for about 5 mins. Super fun, but it stopped partway through which was cool, cause then I headed over to the park for a little impromptu workout. I was relatively certain that it was going to downpour shortly (again, ominous clouds, distant rolls of thunder) so I took it as my one opportunity to enjoy the outdoors. Did my workout, went home, and then… It rained like a southeast Asian monsoon. Good work, Nikki, good work.
Anyways, I had a pretty adventurous morning. And last night I introduced some friends to some adventurous snacks. Not everyone has experienced the joy of a sweet, ripe date wrapped or stuffed with deliciousness. Today’s post is for a great paleo crowd-pleasing plate.
I’ve shown you guys Goat-Cheese stuffed Dates before, but here’s a couple more things you can do with delicious dates that most anyone will love. There’s one with dairy, one with meat, and one with nuts. Chances are there is one to suit all the dietary restricted people and non-restricted people alike.
Bacon Wrapped Dates
9 dates, pitted
3 slices of bacon, cut into thirds
- Preheat oven to 375
- Wrap a piece of bacon around each date and place “seam” side down on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10-15 mins (check to make sure the bacon is done, but not burnt.)
- Wait to cool before eating or serving (IMPORTANT).
Spiced Pecan Stuffed Dates
8 or 9 dates, pitted (slice one side down the middle and remove pit, but do not cut the date in half.)
1 tsp. coconut oil
salt to taste
- In a small skillet over medium-high heat, add pecans, oil, and seasoning. Toss with a rubber spatula.
- Keep moving the pecans around to keep from burning. Heat until well toasted.
- Let cool on a plate or paper towel, or just remove skillet from heat.
- Stuff 2 pecans into the pitted date. You can break up the nuts to make it fit.