It’s Summer! Which means BBQ’s every weekend. And what do you usually have at a BBQ? BBQ sauce!
Usually, this little condiment is loaded with all sorts of processed weirdness (unless your host just happened to have a super secret, centuries old, homemade from scratch-recipe; not likely). Even most BBQ sauce recipes have ingredients like Worcestershire sauce (HFCS and natural flavorings), ketchup (HFCS), sugar, and hot pepper sauce (???). Here’s an easy recipe to make sure your summer days are paleo to the max!
Paleo BBQ sauce
1 6 oz. can organic tomato paste
1.5 c. beef, chicken, vegetable or bone broth
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 white onion, minced
2 Tbsp. organic Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 dates, chopped
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. cayenne
1/2 tsp. chipotle chili powder
1 T olive oil
1 tsp. salt
- Add all ingredients into a pot over medium heat.
- Mix well until sauce begins to bubble, turn heat down to low.
- Let it simmer for 45 mins or so. Until it reaches a thicker consistency.
- Once done, let it cool a bit.
- If there are chunks of date or onion, pour sauce into a blender or use an immersion blender to dissolve chunks.
- Pour into a jar, use as a marinade or every day condiment!