This is an amazing recipe for those who want a “sweet” treat without completely derailing their sugar detox/cleanse/general avoidance. The combination of sweet potato or yam, spices, and coconut creates a really savory and finger-licking taste. No guilt involved, I promise. Even more, when you freeze these puppies, it’s almost like a little open faced ice cream sandwich! Say WHAAAT!? yup. Muy delicioso. So have fun with it… play with the spices, and while you’re at it, play with the filling too! It could be garnet yam, sweet potato, kabocha squash, okinowan sweet potato, butternut squash, etc.
In addition to being awesome, these are also NUT-free, SOY-free, GLUTEN-free, DAIRY-free, EGG-free, and SUGAR-free.
Coconut-Crusted Yam Tart
3 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 1/2 c. unsweetened dried coconut
2 c. yams, mashed
1 c. coconut milk (full fat)
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. orange zest
1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a food processor, pulse oil and coconut until thoroughly crushed into the consistancy of sand.
- Press crust mixture into a tart pan or muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-20 mins. Check it near the end to make sure it’s not burning.
- Make the filling by mixing flaxseed and coconut milk together in the food processor. Don’t process, just let them sit for 5 mins or so.
- Add remaining ingredients and process…. and process… and more processing. The longer it goes the better the texture.
- Once the crust is done, pour the filling over the crust and chill (or FREEZE!) until firm.
- I topped one batch with some sliced almonds, making it not NUT-free. Toppings are optional, feel free to express yourself.
- EAT… NOM NOM NOM NOM.
ALTERNATIVE FILLING ALERT! (AFA for short)
2 c. hawaiian purple potatoes (aka okinowan sweet potato)
1 c. coconut milk
1 tsp. cardamom
1 1/2 tsp. lime zest
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Same directions as above. Expect pretty purple tarts.
- Add some zest and shredded coconut for garnish.