2012/01/30 by nikkiledford
Another great vegetable side dish for a BBQ. This is more of a summer recipe, so keep it in mind as you’re doing all your ab work to get a ROCKIN beach body! I made this dish along with Peruvian Ceviche and Raw Pear and Blackberry Tart.
When grilling the vegetables remember a few things:
- charring food is bad. The charred portion becomes carcinogenic (cancer-causing) in our bodies. Try to keep flare-ups to a minimum and keep those “grill marks” light.
- along the same lines it’s better to use a higher heat oil when grilling. Olive oil and other medium-low heat oils will oxidize and change chemical structure in high heat… making them unsuitable for our bodies. Coconut oil can drip into the grill and cause flare-ups sometimes, so I used grapeseed oil in this recipe.
Grilled Vegetables with Salsa Verde
1 eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 3/4″ strips
2 bell peppers
3-4 zucchini, sliced lengthwise same as eggplant
- Heat grill to medium high.
- Place whole bell peppers on the grill, turn occasionally until skin is slightly blistering and soft.
- Brush zucchini and eggplant slices with some grapeseed oil and dust with pepper and salt.
- Grill slices until soft with slight grill marks
- Remove bell peppers when ready. Cool in cold water and remove skin and seeds.
- Slice bell pepper into strips like the eggplant and zucchini.
- Serve on a platter with Salsa Verde
1/2 c. cilantro leaves
1/2 c. parsley leaves
1/2 c. olive oil
1 Tbsp. minced ginger
Juice from a half of lemon
2-3 garlic cloves
1 tsp. salt
sprinkle of paprika
- In a blender or small food processor chop garlic and ginger
- Add parsley and cilantro and chop until well combined. Scrape down the sides with a spatula when necessary
- Add remaining ingredients and season to taste
- Serve sauce over grilled vegetables or on the side.