This cake was a gift for my friend and Crossfit High Voltage gym owner, Tim Thackrey. Here’s the man himself and your’s truly:
¾ c. coconut flour ¼ c. cocoa powder 1 tsp. sea salt 1 tsp. baking soda 10 eggs 1 c. coconut oil 1 ½ c. maple syrup 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, oil, syrup, and vanilla.
- Add dry to wet and blend till smooth.
- Pour evenly into two 9 inch cake pans and bake for 35 mins or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool before frosting!
Vegan Chocolate Frosting – Filling
1 cup dark chocolate ½ cup coconut oil 2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract pinch sea salt
- In a small saucepan over very low heat, melt chocolate and coconut oil.
- Stir in maple, vanilla, and salt.
- Place frosting in freezer for 15 minutes to cool.
- Remove from freezer and whip frosting with a hand blender until it is thick and fluffy.
- Frost in between two cake layers.
Chocolate Ganache Frosting12 oz. dark chocolate 12 oz. full fat coconut milk
- Heat coconut milk in a saucepan, bring almost to a boil. Stir constantly so it doesn’t burn.
- In a heat-safe bowl, place the broken pieces or chips of chocolate.
- Pour heated milk over the chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Place cake on a baking rack over some foil or a baking sheet.
- Pour ganache over cake starting from the center of the top.
- Let the frosting spill over the sides onto the foil or baking sheet.
- If some areas of the cake are not getting “ganach-ed”, try pouring directly over them, but keep the coating smooth over the entire cake. Don’t use a spatula. Oftentimes it will stick and mess up the ganche.
3 Comments Add yours
10 eggs?? R u sure about this?
The reason for asking that directions of making the cake has lots of different ingredients that what’s stated in the ingredients list itself…
Yes. 10 eggs. Coconut flour usually needs a ratio of about 4 eggs to every 1/4 c. of flour.
Thank you for alerting me to the discrepancy in the ingredients and recipe steps. When I first began making this cake, I used different ingredients for oils and sweeteners. I’ve since updated what I usually prefer to use (coconut oil and maple syrup) but didn’t change it in the directions 🙂 good catch!