This cake was a gift for my friend and Crossfit High Voltage gym owner, Tim Thackrey. Here’s the man himself and your’s truly:
¾ c. coconut flour ¼ c. cocoa powder 1 tsp. sea salt 1 tsp. baking soda 10 eggs 1 c. coconut oil 1 ½ c. maple syrup 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, oil, syrup, and vanilla.
- Add dry to wet and blend till smooth.
- Pour evenly into two 9 inch cake pans and bake for 35 mins or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool before frosting!
Vegan Chocolate Frosting – Filling
- In a small saucepan over very low heat, melt chocolate and coconut oil.
- Stir in maple, vanilla, and salt.
- Place frosting in freezer for 15 minutes to cool.
- Remove from freezer and whip frosting with a hand blender until it is thick and fluffy.
- Frost in between two cake layers.
Chocolate Ganache Frosting12 oz. dark chocolate 12 oz. full fat coconut milk
- Heat coconut milk in a saucepan, bring almost to a boil. Stir constantly so it doesn’t burn.
- In a heat-safe bowl, place the broken pieces or chips of chocolate.
- Pour heated milk over the chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Place cake on a baking rack over some foil or a baking sheet.
- Pour ganache over cake starting from the center of the top.
- Let the frosting spill over the sides onto the foil or baking sheet.
- If some areas of the cake are not getting “ganach-ed”, try pouring directly over them, but keep the coating smooth over the entire cake. Don’t use a spatula. Oftentimes it will stick and mess up the ganche.